Marhaba bikom!

Welcome to my blog! I'm spending 9 months (primarily in Fez) doing research, learning Moroccan Arabic, and discovering life in Morocco.

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The last leg of travels

I received was felt like the most incredible news ever in the early morning of my airport stay. There was another Fulbrighter who missed the flight! So I met her at check-in the next afternoon and then while waiting at the gate another Fulbrighter approached us! THEN while getting ready to board ANOTHER one found us.

On the flight I got my first Arabic lesson (from a Moroccan, that is. Sorry, I should mention Tim McDougall did give me a tutorial at Gustavus and I appreciated it!). The 23 yr old who sat next to me was more than happy to attempt to teach me greetings, numbers, how to write my name, etc. He was continually praising my pronounciation which I could get excited about, but I'm pretty sure he was just trying to flatter me. "Here is my address, I can give you private lessons. In 3 months you will be teaching ME Arabic." Anyway, I jumped on the opportunity when the stewardess offered me a row of 3 seats in the back to myself and that was the end of the lessons for the time being. I fell asleep after dinner and was pretty much out the rest of the flight.

The four of us managed to get train tickets and though it was a struggle, successfully changed trains and got to our final destination (even though the doors failed to open where we were trying to get off). We hauled everything up 2 flights of stairs and then found the hotel, exhausted!

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

1 comment:

The Adventures of Maika said...

I am so happy for you: you finally made it! I am really exited to start seeing some pictures and hearing stories!