Marhaba bikom!

Welcome to my blog! I'm spending 9 months (primarily in Fez) doing research, learning Moroccan Arabic, and discovering life in Morocco.

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Djellaba Shopping, Pizza, and Police

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Today was an adventure! Katie’s host-mother took her, Stephanie and I djellaba shopping in fez el-jdid. At one shop I tried one on and we asked how much it was. After the shopowner responded Katie’s host-mom immediately led us out. Apparently the price was outrageous. We continued looking in various shops without finding what we were looking for. As we were heading back the way we had come, that shopkeeper shouted something at Katie’s host-mother and she began shaking her finger and arguing right back. As the two of them are going at it (verbally) a crowd begins to gather to see what the commotion is all about. Us girls are of course just standing there in confusion. THEN a police officer comes to see what the commotion is about and they simultaneously shout their arguments at him. The officer then guides us to a side passageway, out of the main walkway where everyone was watching. Katie's mother angrily explained her point to him and we left. This was my first experience with the Moroccan police and I had no idea what was going on.

Later, Katie got pieces of information from her host father (who speaks French). Apparently the shop-owner was insulting her. Her mother said he was crazy for asking 1000 dirhams (about $130) for a djellaba! She explained that we weren’t tourists, we were students here. I think he said something like she shouldn’t have brought us there... Wow.

Oh, but on a happier note, tonight I had PIZZA in the Nouvelle Ville with Sam, Ryan, Jess, and Stephanie. It was heavenly :-) particularly after:

  1. having harira for ftur every night this week and

  2. having fasted today

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

No comments: