Marhaba bikom!

Welcome to my blog! I'm spending 9 months (primarily in Fez) doing research, learning Moroccan Arabic, and discovering life in Morocco.

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

3.5hr delay in MSP => 24 Hour Delay in JFK: Will I ever get to Morocco??

Well, here's an update on my Moroccan adventure:

"Due to WEATHER / LOW CIGS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours and 53 minutes."

Unfortunately the time between my domestic flight (MSP-JFK) and my connecting international group flight was 3 hours and 20 minutes. Due to a 3-hour departure delay out of MSP, I arrived in terminal 4 of JFK after a turbulent descent with about 15 minutes until our group flight was scheduled to depart. But it was raining pretty hard so flights out of JFK must be delayed, too, right?

Wrong. My flight to Casablanca was ON TIME in terminal 1 with check-in, security, and 6 AirTram stops (I had to wait for 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9 before mine) between it and myself. Needless to say, I did not make it. Not only does this mean I am missing the flight with the other Fulbrighers, it means I will miss the "pick up" and delivery to our hotel (in the capital, Rabat, so I'll have to find my own way via train) and finally, I will miss the first day of orientation and getting to know everyone.

I am now back in terminal 4 (the only one open 24hrs, I guess) waiting for the next flight to Casablanca. Did I mention there is only one flight per day? Yes, this means since I've been here for about 3 hours already, I only have 21 remaining. Fantastic.

If anyone happens to be reading this within 21 hours after it was posted, send me an email or come online and chat! I'll be here: frustrated, bored and alone.

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

No comments: