Marhaba bikom!

Welcome to my blog! I'm spending 9 months (primarily in Fez) doing research, learning Moroccan Arabic, and discovering life in Morocco.

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Medina Tour

It’s incredible living in a city that is celebrating its TWELVE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY. We actually had a group medina tour on Saturday that was almost 4 hours long. It was fantastic!


We stopped and visited so many places: a pre-school/kindergarten Koran school, a public bakery, tanneries, weaving & fabric making, the WORLD’S OLDEST UNIVERSITY, and more! By then end we were all so thirsty, but we couldn’t drink water in the public streets of the medina because all good Muslims are fasting and that would be incredibly rude and disrespectful, (“Shooma! Shooma!” – Shame! Shame!). After 20 more minutes of self-navigation, we eventually found ourselves at a favorite ex-pat hangout, Café Clock where we hung out and hydrated.
Tanneries: Apparently declared last year by the Discovery Channel to be the 3rd hardest job in the world. Imagine doing that during Ramadan without food or water all day!

That evening, all of us new Fulbrigters in Fes were invited to ftur chez the host family of Susannah/Elena (new/current Fulbrighters). This is also the host family that Erica stayed with when she was starting her CLEA in Fez! There were about 5 current Fulbrighters who came as well so we got to chat and ask them questions, advice, etc. Everyone was really nice and the house was beautiful! I also got to talk to one of the host sisters, Fatima-Zorah there who co-founded a language study school in Fez. Because it is cheaper, I might continue studying there when my 5-week ALIF course is finished. She and her co-founder also both went to Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdellah University in Fez which is where I think I will be auditing courses next month so it was great to talk to them!

After ftur, I went and visited the apartment that three students had just moved into. It is also located in the medina, not terribly far from my current host family. It was really cute and semi-furnished with a salon, kitchen, three bedrooms, bathroom (Turkish toilet but actual showerhead!), and AMAZING rooftop view! The best part is that they have a room available and so I am seriously considering moving in here after my 5-week homestay. Oh and as a bonus, the price is RIGHT!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

HI ADDIE! it has been so fun reading your adventures in morocco...it sounds like you are having a blast there! it sounds like you have already had some adventures and that you are learning a ton each and everyday..that's awesome!!! keep the posts coming...they are so fun to read! hey, do you know what the time difference is between there and here? we are going to have to try and do skype!! well, take care and i can't wait to hear more! luv ya and miss you!!!!! jenny

Julie Murray said...

Hi Addie--

What a wonderful blog!! Thanks for all the pictures and news. I'll keep checking back! Lots of love--

Julie

KazakhJane said...

Wow, your blog is great Add. I'm so amazed by the pictures! Glad you are off to a good start and keep the updates coming. I miss you!

Unknown said...

Addie,
I love that there are a million satellites on top of all the houses in that Tanneries picture. It looks really funny.
Also, I'm super jealous. It looks like your having a blast!