Marhaba bikom!

Welcome to my blog! I'm spending 9 months (primarily in Fez) doing research, learning Moroccan Arabic, and discovering life in Morocco.

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Situation Improved by Kazakh Friends

Well, I can now count the hours remaining until departure on 3 hands... getting closer. The time actually hasn't seemed to pass as slowly as it could have because I made some friends :-) I met some young people from Kazakhstan, who happen to be from the same city that my friend Jane is living in right now! What are the chances?? Anyway, we've been chatting, playing cards, and guarding our spot by the power outlet next to the payphones to ensure fully charged computer access. After seeing the various positions in which people were trying to sleep last night (some even had sleeping bags), one of them remembered "Hey, we have an air mattress in our suitcase here!" so they got it out and let it self-inflate into a miracle of a seating arrangement. It was SO much better than the tile floor that was accommodating us for the several preceding hours. We made it through the night and now it's a new day and I can only pray for smooth travels tonight and tomorrow!

Added note: A police officer just approached us and asked, "You folks comfortable?" to which we laughed and replied "Yes". She looked at our mattress, smiled, and shook her head in disbelief saying, "This is a first for me... but this is New York."

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Addie, the air mattress story reminds me of your library adventures with Carolyn.