Marhaba bikom!

Welcome to my blog! I'm spending 9 months (primarily in Fez) doing research, learning Moroccan Arabic, and discovering life in Morocco.

This is not an official Department of State website. The views and information presented here are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Monday, October 27, 2008

dar jdeed dyalna (our new home)!


Friday I finally moved out of my host family's house. Living with them was a great experience; a much needed introduction to Moroccan culture, food, and language. However I now feel ready to explore life in Morocco on my own. I already feel more connected to the neighborhood because I am interacting with locals daily just because I am now buying and preparing my own food. There is actually a public bakery practically next door so in the morning I can get hot, freshly baked khobz (bread) for 1 dirham (approximately 13 cents). It's heavenly.

Now for the most spectacular part of this move: the dar jdeed (new house) itself. Except it's not so much a house, as it is a palace. And not so much new, as is carved in plaster above my bedroom door the date: 1346.



It's complete with huge ceilings, intricate carvings, traditional moroccan zleej (mozaic tiling), and elegant couches and curtains. And the private roof has a spectacular sweeping view of the city.






Now the important perks for those of us used to life in the U.S.: western-style toilet, shower with (usually) hot water, and... wireless internet access! So now I can do internet research (as well as communicate with my dear friends and family at home) from my bedroom. I feel like a spoiled Moroccan princess with parents (aka roommates Andrew & Jaci, fellow Fulbrighter) upstairs and brother (aka Ryan, fellow Fulbrighter) across the courtyard.





My first night at the new dar, a group of Fulbright girls -- Liz, Stephanie, Suzannah and Elena (all the way from Rabat :-) -- came over for wine and chocolate. Then Suzannah and Elena spent the night so it was still like living with a family!


2 comments:

KazakhJane said...

you live THERE? OMG it's beautiful. I'm very excited for you. We have the no lights/water problem here for days at a time too..it's a lot of fun :-)

Unknown said...

oh my, addie! it's beautiful!